- When you do a small home improvement project over the weekend, how many times, on average, do you go to the hardware store? For me, it’s probably 3-4 times, including the “Oh crap, I got the wrong thing” trip, the “Shoot, I don’t have this item” trip, and the “Argh, I ran out of <whatever>” trip. So imagine, if you will, having the only hardware store in town not only closed on Sunday, but only open 10am-2pm on Saturday. Welcome to Rauma, Finland. Whenever we need to go to the hardware store, we have to make a concerted effort to get moving a little earlier than normal on Saturday…and that’s tough, I’ll tell you! And if we need to make a return trip…well, it’ll be a few weeks before we finish a project.
- I gave up on the Novel (Working Title: Again) this week. Not for good, I hope to get back to it one day, but for now, I was sick of spinning in circles, getting nowhere with the plot. Going over it day after day, not able to come up with a way forward, was depressing and disheartening, so I finally decided enough was enough. I was making myself miserable, and damn it, writing was supposed to be The Job I Loved, not torture. So I’m done with that.
- Which gave me the freedom to start something new. An idea that’s been swirling in my head for a while now, about a woman who comes home for her father’s funeral only to find an empty coffin. Where’s her dad? And why did he disappear? I’m in the very early stages of writing down notes and ideas right now, trying to determine where the plot will go. I’m going to make an active attempt at a detailed outline. We’ll see how it goes.
What’s Making Me Happy this week:
- This happened a while back, but did you see the live lip-dub proposal Isaac arranged for his girlfriend Amy? He’s done a bit of a follow up, and…well, it was raining…on my face. (Embedded video at the bottom of this page.)
- For some reason, I keep thinking about the photos my friend Jen posted of her completed nursery. It’s a beautiful room, calm and simple and not filled with bears/clowns/lambs/birds or painted bubble gum pink or baby blue. Its a room that can easily grow and change, just like the baby will, but that doesn’t need to. Plus, how can you not like a room that includes a print above the changing table that says, “I love the shit out of you”? As an added bonus, she framed a cross-stitch I did for her of a peacock, and she used a pillowcase I sent her that my friend Raumalainen made. Overall, I’m sure Jen and her baby will both be very happy in that room.
New on Zazzle (image available on many items):
Greek Temple Stretched Canvas Prints by EmbraceLifeBInspired
Check out other Sicily Canvas Prints at zazzle.com
Zazzle is currently having a Memorial Day Promotion: 15% off all products. Enter the code 15OFFPRODUCT at checkout!
And…the promised video (grab a tissue):